Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Bridesmaid by Beverly Lewis

I know, all of Eliana's grandparents are probably getting impatient with me. As soon as I get her pictures off of our camera, I will post her 8-month update. At this point, it may come right before her 9-month update. I'll probably wait to post her 9-month one until after her doctor's appointment, which is a week later.

Anyway, it's time for another book review. This time, Bethany House Publishing sent me a free copy of The Bridesmaid by Beverly Lewis in exchange for writing an honest review for them.


I have read many Christian novels, but this is actually the first book by Beverly Lewis that I have read. It's also the first Amish fiction book I have read. I can honestly say that it probably won't be the last of either.

The Bridesmaid is the second book in the Home to Hickory Hollow series. I was unaware that this was the second book in a series when I began reading it, but I do not feel that I had to read the first book in order to understand this one.

Joanna Kurtz is a twenty-seven-year-old, single Amish woman who is beginning to feel like her time for getting married has passed. This changes for her when she meets Eben Troyer. They quickly decide that they would like to begin a courtship, but difficulties arise in the fact that they live in different states. Distance, family, and the Amish lifestyle all play a part in adding trials to their relationship.

Overall, I found this book to be enjoyable to read. At first I was annoyed by the random Amish words that are scattered throughout the book, but eventually I just started overlooking them. There were a few sections of the book that seemed to drag out the plot a little, but many times I found myself wondering what would happen next in Joanna's life. Although the ending is slightly predictable, I still enjoyed reading it. I'm not one to dislike a book because of that.

I am intrigued by the other books in the series, and I will add them to my "read eventually" list. This book also sparked my interest of the Amish lifestyle. I'm not sure how accurate Beverly Lewis' portrayal of it is, but it is definitely something that I would like to learn more about.


No comments: