Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Eve's sin...

While reading the beginning of Genesis yesterday, I had a new perspective on the effects of Eve's sin. This new perspective likely came because this is the first time I have read that passage since Eliana was born. I am a mother now, and I am wearing what I like to call my "mom filter." Basically that just means that I have to think about how most everything I do affects my daughter.

Anyway, back to the new perspective. Eve was the first person to ever sin against God. "When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it." (Genesis 3:6, NIV).  Later on, Adam and Eve's son Cain, killed his brother Abel (Genesis 4:8). Now, think for a moment about this. Imagine that you are a mother, and one of your children murdered one of his or her siblings. Not only would you grieve the loss of the child that died, but you would have to deal with all of the emotions that you would have toward the other child. I can't even imagine! Now...think about Eve. She (and Adam) brought sin into the world. Can you imagine the thoughts that must have gone through her head? I imagine it would have gone something like this, "If only I had not listened to the serpent and eaten the fruit, Abel would still be alive."

As a mother, I try to protect my daughter from things that will hurt her...stairs, electrical outlets, hitting her head on the coffee table, swallowing my earrings, RSV, etc. I'm sure Eve did the same (except minus the modern day things like electrical outlets and such). How did she get over the fact that eating the fruit brought sin on every man (except Jesus) for the rest of time on Earth? Did she understand that God would right her wrong with His Son? Did she know that God knew that would happen and He had a plan bigger than anything we could ever imagine?

No comments: