Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bible Study

In a previous post about what I wanted to do in 2008 I stated that I wanted to read the Bible more. While I was at Lifeway the other day I found this book, and I decided that maybe this would help me with my goal.



I've decided that maybe if I blog about some of the thoughts I have as I read through it, it might help keep me accountable. Otherwise, I will probably do this for a few days and then slip back into my slackishness (is that even a word?). If you notice I haven't blogged about it in a while, please ask me about it.

So... with all of that said. Here is what I read about today.

Genesis 1-3. My first thought comes from my book. It had a really neat quote about temptation. According to Veerman, "Temptation is Satan's invitation to live his kind of life and give up on God's." Have you ever thought about it that way? When you give in to temptation you are giving up on God's way of life. No part of that sounds like a good idea to me.

My other thought was what childbirth would have been like had Adam and Eve not sinned. God told Eve that with pain she would give birth to children. I actually had never thought about this before, so I decided to ask my husband what he thought about it. What he said made perfect sense, but at the same time it blew my mind. He said, "I just don't think there would have been any pain at all." Just think about that for a second. No pain. No papercuts, no bruises, no headaches, no pain in childbirth, the list could go on and on. I can't even imagine that.

Can you imagine what life was like for Adam and Eve as soon as they sinned? Do you think they realized that they had it made and in one second everything had changed? They are the only people on Earth that had experienced a perfect world. We think it's a big deal if we have a bad day in the mix of a bunch of good days. Imagine going from perfect to imperfect. Wow.

1 comment:

Tori Clements said...

Alright. I'm keeping you accountable. It's been a few days and you still haven't told us about what you're learning. How's the Bible study going?