Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"Word Wednesdays"...Delilah


Man, I feel like there is so much that can be learned in Samson and Delilah's story. In case you're not familiar, here's a quick recap. Samson was a judge for Israel in a time where they continued to turn from God. He was a Nazarite from birth, and his hair had never been cut. This was the source of his strength. Samson was married to a woman named Delilah, and the Phillistines (who were trying to capture Samson) offered her money to find out the source of his strength. Delilah tried three separate times to get Samson to tell her. Each time he made up something to tell her. Finally, the Bible says in Judges 16:16 (ESV), "And when she pressed him hard with her words day after day, and urged him, his soul was vexed to death." He then told her the truth, and she betrayed him for money. I won't spoil the rest of the story, you should go and read it to find out what happens.

Here's what I want to point out. There are so many points, but right now I want to focus on Delilah. She "pressed him hard" and her husband's soul was "vexed to death." Oh my. Those are powerful words. The Bible also says, "It is better to live in a corner of the housetop than in a house shared with a quarrelsome wife" (Proverbs 21:9, ESV). I do not want to be that wife. I do not want to nag, and I definitely don't want my husband to feel like he would be better off living on our roof! This story clearly shows the negative effects a wife's sin can have on her husband. Whether we like it or not, our sin not only affects us, it can affect the lives of many people around us.


No comments:

Blog Archive