Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

"Foodie Fridays"...Super Easy Roast Beef




This week on "Foodie Fridays" I'm going to feature another recipe that I love. It just so happens that like last week, I'm featuring a beef recipe. This is odd because we really cook chicken more frequently around here. 

This recipe is for a super easy roast beef. I got it from $5 dinners. Tanner loves this recipe. His favorite part about it is having leftovers to make a roast beef sandwich the next day. Eliana and I both love it, too. One of the best parts is how easy it is to make! I always serve mine with mashed potatoes because I'm a firm believer in the fact that roast beef and mashed potatoes always go together.

Below is the recipe with my comments added.


Saucy Roast Beef

Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 4 hours

Ingredients

  • 4lb beef roast, whatever cut is on sale is fine
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3/4 water - as the comments on the original post of this recipe suggested, I added closer to 1 cup of water. 
  • 1 packet Zatarain’s Cajun Brown Gravy Mix (or sub a homemade gravy mix) - I just used a plain brown gravy mix because I have been unable to find Zatarain's.
  • 1 packet Italian Dressing Mix (or sub a homemade mix)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons parsley

Directions

  • Preheat your oven to 325F.
  • In a dutch oven, heat up the olive oil over medium high heat.
  • Sear the roast on all sides until browned.
  • Fill a measuring cup with the water and then add in all of the packets and spices. Mix it well.
  • Pour water mixture over the top of the roast.
  • Pop the roast in the oven for 4-6 hours. You’ll know it’s done when it simply falls apart at the touch of a fork. If it hasn’t made it to that point, roast it a little longer and check again.
I have cooked mine as the recipe states, but I have also cooked mine in the crockpot. I still sear it on all sides first. I believe this is an important step, and it helps contribute to the deliciousness of the roast beef! I left mine in the crockpot for about 7 hours, but I probably could have taken it out sooner. Both cooking methods worked, and I really just decide based on whether or not I will be home in the afternoon.

No comments:

Blog Archive