Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

"Mommy Mondays"... Why are Flip Flops a Big Deal?

UPDATE: Don't forget to enter to win a bottle of Dial Coconut Water Fresh Mango body wash by 11:59 pm tonight!

Just a review... Last week I started a feature called "Mommy Mondays."  The idea behind it is simple. I'm going to use this to post about funny things my daughter has done, parenting advice that I have received or things that I have learned, or anything else having to do with being a Mommy. This is the time for all of you moms out there to share with one another. Need help with something? Post it on here. Want to share a laugh? Post it on here.


If you want to join in on the fun, post a link in the comments to your "Mommy Monday" post on your blog or Facebook, or wherever!



A few days ago I tweeted about my daughter wearing flip flops, and I said something about it being a big deal! Several people weren't sure why I said that, so I thought I'd post about it. Mainly because I don't want to forget about these days when she's 20. 


I can't remember when it started, but I think it was last summer. Being a flip flop lover myself, I tried to get Eliana to wear some. She thought it sounded like a great idea...and she proceeded to wear them for about 30 seconds. "No big deal," I thought, "I'll just try again another day." Which is exactly what I did. 


Oh my goodness! You would have thought I was trying to make her wear a pair of shoes with spikes on the insides! Eliana is 2. She has tantrums just like any other 2-year-old. However, these flip flops brought out tantrums unlike any I had ever seen from her (except when I tried to trim her toenails...Are you sensing a theme?). 


For months I tried off and on to casually mention the flip flops. We paid for them, I might as well try to get her to wear them before she outgrew them. Each time I was met with the same kind of tantrum. As more months passed, I even tried various flip flops. I even bought DISNEY PRINCESS FLIP FLOPS and TINKERBELL FLIP FLOPS! Nothing worked. I eventually decided not to try anymore this year, and thought maybe next summer she will have forgotten about her flip flop phobia (I wonder if there's an actual word for that). 


Which brings me to this past Saturday. The previous 2 days, Eliana only wanted to wear her rain boots (never mind the fact that it wasn't raining, and it was approximately 85 degrees outside). We thought it was pretty cute, and you're supposed to let toddlers pick what they wear to some extent, so we went along with it.




On Saturday after her nap, we were getting ready to go eat supper with Popsy & the Uncles. It was time to put on her shoes, and out of nowhere she said, "I want to wear my flip flops!" Tanner and I looked at each other like, "Who are you and what have you done with our opinionated 2-year-old that turns into a dragon when flip flops are mentioned?" We of course immediately agreed and scurried to put them on her as quickly as we possibly could before she changed her mind. 


She was quite excited that Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel, and Ariel were all on her lovely pink flip flops, and she said she couldn't wait to show Popsy! In my head, I was thinking that these wouldn't even be on her feet by the time we got to Popsy's house. Boy was I wrong. She kept them on, she showed them to everyone, and she even wanted to wear them again the next day!


Apparently, I just needed to quit asking and let it be her own idea. Live and learn.

No comments:

Blog Archive