Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"Word Wednesdays"...Know the Bible



This week on "Word Wednesdays," I am really speaking to myself, but perhaps you can gain something from it as well. This week's post is just a brief thought that I had while reading my Bible. It makes sense in my head, so I hope it makes sense once it is typed. 

I was recently reading Deuteronomy 30. Specifically, Deuteronomy 30:14, "But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it" (ESV). This verse is referring to the ability to keep God's commands. It states in Deuteronomy 30:11 that none of this is beyond our reach (ESV). God doesn't hide what he wants from us. He wants us to love Him, walk in His ways, and keep His commands (Deuteronomy 30:16, ESV).  He has given us the commands He wants us to keep through His word. We have no excuses.

Could this be said of me? Do I know the Bible so well that it is in me, and it naturally comes out to help me keep His commands? Not enough. Is this possible? Yes. Do I pray that God will help me with this? Yes, but not as much as I should. 

God wants us to know His Word. He wants us to obey it. He wants us to rely on it. He wants us to seek the answers to our every day struggles in it. I believe the more you read it and study it and pray about it, God will keep it in the forefront of your mind. That way when the need arises, it will be in your heart and mouth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I concur. The more that I get into the Word, the more I learn, which makes me want to read it even more! That's not to say that I read it as much as I would like to or I "should" but I no longer view reading my Bible as another chore, a box to check off or to get a gold star; I long to read His Word! It's amazing how much your views change once you truly experience God through his son Jesus Christ :).

Blog Archive