Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

"Word Wednesdays"...Counsel from the Lord



In Joshua 9 (ESV), news of what the Israelites were doing was spreading among the nations. The Gibeonites decided to use a little trickery to prevent a battle. They made it appear to the Israelites that they had traveled from a far distance by using dry and crumbly bread, old sacks, old wineskins, and old sandals. They asked Joshua and his men to make a covenant with them. Verse 14 is the key text here: "So the men took some of their provisions, but did not ask counsel from the LORD" (ESV). Needless to say, this backfired. Three days later they found out they were in fact their neighbors and they had been deceived. 

I am so guilty of not seeking counsel from God when I think I have everything under control. I am a recovering control freak. I say recovering because, well, it still creeps in more frequently than I would prefer. Like the Israelites, it often backfires on me. God is running the universe, and He knows what is best for me. He is all-knowing, and my finite mind isn't. What about you? Do you seek God's counsel? Even for the seemingly small things? 

No comments:

Blog Archive